Schedule of the Doctoral School enrolment procedure:registration in IRK:
- registration in IRK: from 23 May 2019 to 21 June 2019;
- acceptance of documents: from 23 May 2019 to 21 June 2019;
- selection procedure: from 1 July 2019 to 10 July 2019;
- publication of the ranking list: 12 July 2019;
- publication of the list of persons admitted to the Doctoral School: 17 September 2019.
Form of the selection procedure:
Language of the enrolment procedure, including interviews:
Polish or English as chosen by the candidate. If the Polish language is chosen, the selection procedure shall include a part conducted in English.
- the application generated in IRK, stating the subject-matter of the application, including the chosen discipline in which the candidate plans to pursue education, PESEL [Personal Identification Number] or passport number, nationality, contact details (address, e-mail address, telephone number), information whether the candidate gives their consent to receive administrative decisions by electronic means and signature;
- a diploma of completion of the long-cycle Master’s degree programme or second-cycle programme or an equivalent diploma obtained under separate regulations, or a declaration that the diploma or certificate of obtaining a Master’s degree shall be provided by 16 September 2019; if the diploma or certificate is not provided by this date, the selection committee shall refuse to admit the candidate to the Doctoral School;
- a resumé or curriculum vitae containing information about the candidate’s scientific interests and scientific activity from 1 October 2014 onwards, subject to § 18 section 7, in particular publications, research work in scientific associations, participation in scientific conferences, participation in research projects, awards, distinctions, research internships and possible recommendations from academics;
- documents confirming the command of foreign languages and a declaration about the command of English to the extent enabling the education in the Doctoral School;
- a description of the scientific interests in the context of the planned research (maximum 5,000 characters including spaces in English and a bibliography);
- a declaration of the planned supervisor about their willingness to be the candidate’s supervisor if the candidate is entered on the list of doctoral students and about the number of doctoral students for whom they are the designated supervisor;
- one photograph;
- letters of recommendation from two persons sent directly to the address of the School by a recommending person (it may be send to the e-mail address of the school ) and contact details of these persons (you may add it in your CV);
- first-cycle and second-cycle programme transcripts of records or long-cycle programme transcripts of records or equivalent documents (e.g. diploma supplement);
- abstract of the master’s thesis or project (up to 2,500 characters in English);
- consent to the processing of personal data for the purposes of the selection procedure.
Evaluation criteria and method:
- scientific achievements: publications, participation in student competitions, research projects, presented papers/seminar and conference messages, research internships (0–15 points);
- research project: description of scientific interests in the context of planned research (up to 5,000 characters in English) (0–5 points);
- examination – checking the candidate’s knowledge and skills in the discipline in written (astronomy, chemical and physical sciences, and in WDSMCS) or oral form (biological sciences and Earth and environmental sciences) (up to 40 points);
- evaluation of the candidate’s scientific potential (up to 40 points).
In the case of multi-author achievements, the percentage share of the candidate in the achievement must be defined.
An interview with the candidate. This interview shall include the following elements:
- an interview on the candidate’s master’s thesis, understanding of the subject, research hypotheses, its implementation, obtained results and conclusions;
- short questions about the presented scientific achievements and about the course of the studies.
Interview and oral exam - 4-5 July 2019, 8 July 2019 - 9.00-17.00
The exam will take place on 4, 5 and 8 July at Żwirki i Wigury 93, room 1143
The education lasts 4 years. It includes obligatory classes (no more than 240 hours in total during the whole period of education) and the implementation of an individual research program, carried out under the supervision of a supervisor. Beginning of education - October 1, 2019.
The doctoral student works under the direction of the supervisor. The supervisor's selection declaration should be submitted at the time of submitting recruitment documents.
On the Doctoral Schools website you will find a list of potential supervisors - https://szkolydoktorskie.uw.edu.pl/en/promotorzy
During the four years of study, each PhD student receives a scholarship in the amount of PLN 2371.70 for the first two years of studies (before the mid-term evaluation) and PLN 3653.70 in the next two years after the mid-term evaluation. Supplement for people with disabilities: PLN 711,51.